1. How would you define your personal practice?
My personal practice is constantly evolving. It changes shape from month to month…not in totality, but in many ways. This includes exploring our movement evolution as a species as well as my own organism.
2. What turning points have you encountered on your movement journey?
Everyday is an opportunity for new discovery. This could be an injury where I have to alter my path, or finding out a new way of moving that my body responds very well to.
3. What role has injury played in cultivating your current niche?
An injury led me to my current place of employment several years ago. Since then, my biggest area of focus has been on the rehab/prehab side of things.
4. Do you consider yourself a teacher? Why or why not?
Do I teach? Yes. I would refer to myself as more of a student, however. If I can help someone discover different, helpful ways of moving and uncovering themselves, that comes from teaching. They, at the same time, are always teaching me. It’s a constant loop that keeps feeding back into itself.
5. What has been your experience with physical education, both in the schooling system and sought out knowledge/ know-how elsewhere?
I initially studied Exercise Science in undergrad, but changed focus later on. Before I was done with my schooling, I had the drive to go back, and decided I would all outside study and education to continue.
6. How do you involve your mind/ emotions into your physical routines?
A better questions is to how can I NOT involve them? They are inextricably linked, and separating them is damn near impossible. Every movement creates and emotion and every emotion has a corresponding movement pattern. That said, I can change my focus on one or the other to tinker outcomes.
7. What are your personal aspirations regarding movement? How do you hope to find purpose and use in the skills you have built?
I want to help restore dignity to our species. This will come from personal exploration, as well as offering guidance to others.
8. How can people find/ contact you? Do you have a site or social media handle to share?
instagram: @tylerjameswall + @movwithin